Trail Mix : Creating a Nutritious & Healthy Snack
Trail Mix got its name because it was developed as a food to be taken along hikes because its easy to carry and nutritious. So why is it the perfect healthy snack, let’s find out.
The demand for healthier snack is helping spur the growth in sales. Trail mixes have been around for more than 100 years, they have never been popular. Now a days where in people seek for healthier snacks that offers interesting flavors and textures. Consumers are looking for high-carb and high protein snacks that provide energy and fill them up. Trail mixes has endless combinations.
It’s all in the mix
Trail Mix is no longer your typical combination of raisins and peanuts. They can be sweet and savory or bold and spicy. Nuts and seeds are great source of natural protein. It contains lots of natural plant protein, which is fundamental building block of our bodies. More so, nuts have a Glycemic index-lowering effect, slowing digestion and the release of glucose in the blood stream. While dried fruits actually retains most of the nutritional value of fresh fruits which is a good source of vitamins, minerals and fiber. Similarly nuts are good for your heart and may help you loose weight. People who eat nuts regularly tend to be leaner than those who don’t.
Components of Trail Mix
- Dried Fruit – My favorites are, dried cranberries, raisins, apricots and Banana chips. Because of the high sugar content in dried fruit, they’re a great snack to help boost your low blood sugar after a high dose of physical activity. Be careful when picking dried fruit! Do your best to find sun dried fruit that isn’t coated in sugar and is ideally unsulfured. It’s more expensive, but it’s worth it.
- Nuts – Let’s go nuts, almonds, walnuts, cashew, pecans, macadamias a whole lot more. Ideally, purchase raw nuts that haven’t been coated and roasted in hydrogenated or soybean oils and salt. You’re welcome to dry roast them at home for an added toastiness, but if you’re a nut purist, just keep them raw.
- Seeds – Pumpkin and Sunflower seeds are the best! Don’t forget about seeds, often overlooked for the health benefits of nuts, seeds actually pack a serious nutritional punch including protein, iron, magnesium and an array of vitamins and minerals. Again, look for raw, unsalted seeds.
- Fun Stuff!– Just because it’s healthy doesn’t mean you can’t throw in a little fun! I’m all about balance, so feel free to add in a handful of your favorite decadent or healthified decadent treat. I’ll go for pretzels and dark chocolates
Trail Mix Ingredients
- Almonds – ¾ cup
- Cashews – ¾ cup
- Walnuts – ¾ cup
- Peanuts – ¾ cup
- Sunflower seeds – ½ cup
- Pumpkin seeds – ½ cup
- Dried cranberries – ½ cup
- Dark Chocolate – ¼ cup
- Cajun spice mix – 1/2 tsp
- Honey – 2 tsp
- Olive Oil – 2 tsp – optional if you will be using raw nuts
Creating a nutritious trail mix is effortless, you just have to mix and toss all the ingredients.
If you will be using roasted nuts & seeds, just add the honey and cajun spice mix followed by dried fruits and dark chocolates. If you opt to use raw nuts, the process is basically the same. However you just have to roast/bake the nuts in the oven, mix the wet ingredients ( Honey & Olive Oil ) then add the Cajun Spice Mix. Bake in a pan lined with parchment paper at 350 degrees F for 15-20 mins. Allow to cool before adding your dried fruits and chocolates. If you prefer a plain trail mix, roasting the nuts and adding dried fruits would be perfect.
Are you in search to score quality nuts such as almonds, cashew, walnuts, and dried fruits like cranberries and raisins I would recommend to visit stores that offers baking supplies as they keep quality ingredients. All About Baking has wide array of products to cater your needs.
A good quality homemade trail mix, in moderation is 100% part of a healthy diet. Especially if you will be doing a lot of physical activity where you need energy fast. Keep it a habit to check MyKmag for more healthy recipes.